7.04.2007

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!!!

That show had a profound impact on me. It helped fuel my dreams of a "land where the children are free." Little did I know that over 30 years later, some of the concepts in that show would still be considered "revolutionary".

Independence Day for (R)evolutionary Parents
by Scott Noelle, posted on 2006-07-04


Parents who practice attachment parenting (and other natural, child-honoring approaches) are often accused of neglecting their children's development of independence. "You've got to teach them to sleep alone, to soothe themselves," we are warned.


Strangely, these warnings usually come from the same folks who advise us to take swift disciplinary action the moment our children exhibit signs of independence, now re-labeled "disobedience."


Thankfully, we have the reassurance of the Founding Mothers and Fathers of holistic parenting whose "spoiled" kids are growing up to be remarkably independent!


Today is Independence Day in America, so let's write our own Declaration of Independence from the culture of alienation:

We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Children are created Lovable, that they are endowed, by their Creator, with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Happiness of Parental Proximity....

www.EnjoyParenting.com • Copyright©2007 by Scott Noelle

2 comments:

kelli said...

Wow, what a blast from the past :)

I remember that music and some of the footage from my childhood. Loved the song.

Did you see that Shel Silverstein and Carl Reiner were part of the writing team? *g*

Deanne said...

Yes, I saw Silverstein and Reiner in the credits. I knew Silverstein was a contributer already, because I have the companion book, which I discovered in a discount bookstore this past year. If you watch the clip from the opening segment, you would be surprised how many familiar names were involved. It has been a blast seeing it again...and amazing to me to see how much of the content of that show resonates with how I try to live now by unschooling!